The beginnings of our soil “experiment” start with our planter boxes which we had already established a few years ago and installed irrigation set-ups in each box (smartest thing we did in that garden!). For now, just because this is new for us, we are only using one planter box to see how well it works.
We purchased greenhouse domes made by Outsunny which fit our box which measures approximately 8’x4′. Rory and Chewy really wanted to be in the photo. We added a little peat moss in and tilled the soil (yes, I know, gasp… we should be turning it by hand with a shovel, but to be fair, it’s winter and soil tends to be hard.)
The basic of outdoor plants that we, in our household consume were planted
(in order from left to right):
Onion (red and yellow, planted throughout the whole garden).
Today we started the seedlings for the indoor soil garden:
As you can see by the above list, starter seeds were planted for squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, beans and basil. We will also be planting carrots, beets and radish.
The new structure for the tent was placed in the tent and we finished purchasing the last of the pieces for the irrigation system and fertilizer set up. This year I will be experimenting with new products.
So, Awesome things have been brewing in the indoor garden! Here are my update pictures:
Each of the potters have grown so much. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my lavender to sprout, but it will soon, I am sure.
The white powder on the top of the potters is diatomaceous earth to keep away the gnats that were in the tent.
The left side is yellow onion, the right side is red onion:
Grand Rapids Lettuce on the left, Radishes on the Right:
Raab Broccoli on the left, Black Opal Basil on the right:
Turnip on the left, Kohlrabi on the right:
Beets on the left, Carrots on the right:
The Navel Orange has been accruing new growth.
It dropped some of it’s flowers and some of the fruit, but it’s supposed to drop what it does not feel is healthy to flourish.
There are still over a dozen oranges left on the tree.
The potato bucket has flourished! All of the sproutlets have developed very nicely. In a few days I will cover the spoutlets with more soil and wait for them to continue to grow. As the potatoes grow vertically, they will put out more potatoes in the bottom of the bucket horizontally. Within about a month, there will be potatoes to pick and harvest from the bottom of the bucket where I cut the holes.
As much as I love my Orange Tree I have discovered something terrible!
After I put the tree in the tent, it became… comfortable. The temperature was just right and the conditions were very favorable for the eggs from some gnats to hatch that had been previously laid while the tree was at the nursery.
UGH!!! NO GOOD!!!
So, in order to combat the gnats I purchased two products:
The Gnat Stix are basically Popsicle sticks that attach to a grid that looks and acts like fly paper. The gnats stick to it.
The Diatomaceous Earth basically stops the gnats from reproducing and since gnats have a short life span it works pretty well. Its a white powder that just gets sprinkled over top of the soil. It kind of reminds me of using talc powder, only the plant version.
Today I lightly watered all of the plants and put the miniature red potatoes on the top rack so that they can start rooting. Once they start rooting, I will begin a potato bucket. I have never done this before so it will be an experience for sure!
I will be doing this for both miniature red potatoes and russet potatoes.
The turnip and kohlrabi are flourishing!
I thinned out the sprouts today.
The beets have decided to make an appearance, right on time (germination time between 5 to 10 days) and are doing very well. I thinned them out.
The Buttercrunch lettuce finally made an appearance! Right on time as well (germination time between 5 to 10 days).
The Rapini (or) Raab Broccoli is doing very well, especially for being early! I thinned it out.
The radishes and Grand Rapids lettuce is doing well and I thinned them both out.