It’s Fun to Soil, But Fun Has To End

Standard

We concluded our indoor tents bot the hydroponic and the soil tent.  The soil tent did very well for it’s inception but there are a few things that I will need to change when I move forward for next year’s tent.  In my tent we planted squash, basil, cherry tomatoes, radish, carrot, beans, and some peppers.

Again, the fun thing, for me personally, is just to see the difference in the season.  Our all organic approach worked well but it kept clogging up the emitters because of the worm castings.

                    From this————————-To this:

Over the course of the time the tent was up, we pulled whatever vegetables and fruits we needed but there are some things definitely worth mentioning that were fun.

The squash seemed to do well in the soil and we harvested on the plant several times but over time, because of the footprint of the squash, it started to take up lots of space so… we decided to see if the squash would go vertical.  We added a soft netting for it to climb and amazingly, it didn’t argue much with the process and kept giving off more flowers which we fertilized and harvested when we were able to do so.

Overall, there are a few things that I will need to improve and do differently but the tent was a success because we were able to harvest vegetables, herbs and fruit from it during the indoor season.  That’s the bottom line.

Here are some bragging pictures:

 

Week 2 Indoor Soil Tent Progress

Standard

20180128_192921.jpg

I followed the first week schedule for the Roots Organics feeding system and found that the worm castings in the Buddha Grow product settled in the bottom of our reservoir.  The worm casting sludge is not a big deal, but does make for a messy cleanup from week to week when I change out the water and re-fertilize the plants for the next week.  Overall, I will have to make sure to check the water feed lines well just in case they get clogged with the worm castings during their daily watering.  Midway through the week I found that I had to add water to my reservoir, which I find to be serendipitous as I had planned to water down the reservoir halfway through the week in order to start flushing for the new additives by the time the fertilizer change out is to occur regardless.  Currently, the timers are set to water once per day.

The light timers are currently set for 16 hours per day during the vegetative cycle.  We could leave the lights on for a 24 hour cycle, but the lights are set for 16 hour cycles so that the plants are not too freaked out when the change over to a 12 hour light cycle happens during the bloom cycle.

The plants seem to be thriving well, so without further ado, here are some wonderful bragging pictures from the top of the soil structure to bottom:

Squash(s)

20180128_192854

20180128_192858

Beans 20180128_192746

Early Girl Tomato

20180128_192815.jpg

 Bell Peppers, both Monster Bell and Green Bell

20180128_19282220180128_1928281.jpg

Opal Basil

20180128_192803.jpg

   Radishes

20180128_192749

  Carrots!!!

(they just decided to come up so while they are teeny tiny in the picture, they are actually pretty big for only having been up a few days)

20180128_192755